Sunday, April 27, 2014

Kombucha Tip on "Weighting Down" the Mother SCOBY - to let the Baby Make a Good Seal

I've noticed now - after making several batches of Kombucha -  that the Mother SCOBY tends to float to the top of the tea mixture.

The "mother scoby" is either floating vertically - or at an angle of about 30 degrees -  and the mother pushes up on the brand-new Baby SCOBY, thus not allowing it to make a good seal around the edges of the jar,  *and* also not allowing the baby to grow as thick as it could - because the mother is taking up the room underneath it.

Here is a picture.......



** SSOO **  I've been trying to "channel a solution".  I did a bunch of searching around the internet and Amazon, and I believe that the Universe gave me the perfect solution !!!

I bought a bunch of "Ramiken"s  (at Pryde's in Westport)  --  or called ... ceramic custard-making cups  --  that are about 3-inches in diameter.  I believe that they would be perfect for placing on top of the mother SCOBY  --  in order to "weigh her down" to keep her lower in the jar - to give the baby a chance to get REALLY THICK and create a good seal around the edges, in order for maximum fermentation to occur !!!

Here is a picture (and they are only $3.95 each) !!



I shall try this on my next batch (since I currently have one in the making)....  and let all y'all know how it went !!!

:-)  Namaste !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment